[Avocado-devel] Request to backport PR 1376 to 36lts

Amador Pahim apahim at redhat.com
Fri Sep 8 11:04:34 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues
<lookkas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guannan,
>
> Since 52.0 is the new LTS release, and since we usually only backport
> bugfixes, not features, I'd ask you if porting your stuff to 52.0 is an
> option.
>
> Because the request, as is, is something that I [1] would like to avoid.
> Please let me know of your current needs and let's see how we can accomodate
> them.
>
> [1] Of course, we need to hear the opinion of the other maintainers. Guys,
> let me know what are your thoughts.

Yes, I was thinking about that. All your preassumptions are perfect:
we don't backport features, 52 is the 'current' LTS and so on. On the
other hand, v36 is still supported (until Dec 27/2017, at least) and
it's the only LTS that supports RHEL6, so upgrading to v52 is not an
option for him.

Even if we consider it a "support exception" and backport that
feature, it will solve a very specific problem with a workflow that
can not be replicated after the v36 EOL. And RHEL6 is not even close
to the EOL. According to
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata, RHEL6 can be
someway supported up to 2024(!).

So, Guannan, instead of claiming "support exception" for this feature,
I'd recommend you to create/maintain an internal lib with all the
features needed for your tests, even if that's just to backport
upstream features like that one for your never-ending RHEL6 testing
environment. How does that sound?