[Avocado-devel] Request to backport PR 1376 to 36lts

Ademar Reis areis at redhat.com
Mon Sep 11 13:40:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 10:23:50AM +0200, Lukáš Doktor wrote:
> Hello Guannan,
>
> theoretically we should not accept such backport, because it's a
> new feature, not a bugfix. Anyway it touches `avocado.utils` and
> it's not changing existing callbacks. What do you think, guys? In
> my view the `avocado/core` is the core and I wouldn't like such
> changes there, but I'd be fine with some exceptions when it goes
> to `avocado/utils`.

I think 36lts should not be touched, unless you're doing a critical
bugfix, which is not the case here.

It's not just about a simple backport, it's about expectations and
maintenance of a LTS release. Think of new versions, release notes,
"interrupting" conservative users, testing, potential for
regressions, etc. This would create a bad precedent.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks.
   - Ademar

--