[Avocado-devel] remote runner passing vt-extra params

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Mon Oct 1 19:47:50 UTC 2018

On 9/21/18 6:55 PM, Brijesh Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using the below command to launch a qemu boot test for my
> Fedora guest. I have been passing multiple 'key=value' with
> --vt-extra-params. Everything seems to be working well. The guest boot
> and I can see that it's using all the params passed. Now if I try doing
> a similar thing from remote runner plugin then it ignores all the --vt-*
> args and launch the avocado on remote machine with default JeOS image
> and does not use any of my --vt-params. Is this expected? If not, could
> you please tell me what I am missing
>
> thanks
>
> # avocado run \
>  --vt-qemu-bin /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 \
>  --vt-guest-os Fedora.28 \
>  --vt-extra-params 'machine_type = q35
> virtio_dev_iommu_platform=on
> virtio_dev_disable_legacy=on
> ovmf_path=/usr/share/OVMF
> ovmf_code_filename=OVMF_CODE.secboot.fd
> ovmf_vars_filename=OVMF_VARS.fd
> restore_ovmf_vars=yes
> bridge = virbr0
> nic_mode = tap
> mem = 1024' -- ' io-github-autotest-qemu.boot'
>

> -Brijesh

Dear Brijesh,

Thanks for reporting that.  The options passed to the remote side of the
remote runner are currently whitelisted, and the `--vt-*` are not among
them for the simple reason they are external to Avocado.

Now, the right approach would be to pass along all options, and black
list some if necessary.

I've created a card on our planning board to (eventually) address that
issue:

https://trello.com/c/3lNNNDQ4/1434-remote-runner-pass-all-most-options-to-the-remote-runner

Feel free to also send a fix, either final or PoC, to speed up the
resolution.

Thanks!

--
Cleber Rosa
[ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]