[Avocado-devel] Fwd: [avocado-framework/avocado] Welcome to avocado Discussions! (#4356)

Beraldo Leal bleal at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 17:09:01 UTC 2020

Hi Brian,

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 09:55:14AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-12-09 at 11:37 -0300, Willian Rampazzo wrote:
> > Hello, Avocado community,
>
> Hello Willian
>
> > We have enabled Discussions on Avocado Framework GitHub Project. Feel
> > free
> > to ask questions, add suggestions, or comment on an open discussion!
>
> How does that relate to this list?  Are they intended for different
> purposes or will the overlap, partially or completely?  Or will
> Discussions eventually replace this list?

Yes, it is still experimental, and I have enabled this because we are
already using issues for some discussions on GH.

I don't think this will be a replacement, but just an extension, since
we have to think about new contributors that don't like to subscribe to
mailing lists just to post a question. Unfortunately, some developers
don't like ML as some of us do.

And because of that, I have doubts about redirecting discussions started
on GH to ML (and vice-versa), since we can lose some contributions.

I understand that having two "methods" is timing consuming and has
drawbacks, but IMO having more contributors is also important for the
the project's future, and we must take it into account as well.

> Can we have discussions messages e-mailed to us, or is this more like a
> "Forum" type of interaction where one has to just keep checking back at
> the website periodically in case there is new topics?

You can "Watch" a repo and configure to receive not only
Issues/PRs/Releases but also Discussions as part of your notifications.
But I have to confess that I don't use this in other projects, so not
sure it will be good enough.

> I hope the discussion that has historically happened on this list
> doesn't migrate to such an interface.

+1. Yes, I don't think we have a reason for that. I still like to search
for emails in my MAILDIR. ;)

But as I said before, we need to start thinking on new contributors that
don't like ML too.

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Regards,
--