[Avocado-devel] RFC: Conscious Language in Avocado

Plamen Dimitrov pdimitrov at pevogam.com
Fri Jan 15 17:39:55 UTC 2021

Hi all,

On 1/15/21 7:21 PM, Beraldo Leal wrote:
> I hope you are doing fine during this time.
>
> I'm seeing some projects [1] eradicating problematic language [2] (words
> like 'master', 'slave', 'black-list', 'white-list', etc) and I will be
> glad to start this effort of removing those words here but first I would
> like to know the Avocado's community option on this topic.
>
> I have also started a discussion about this here[3], just in case you
> are more comfortable there. I will try to do my best to collect the
> ideas here and there.
>
> [1] - https://github.com/github/renaming
> [2] - https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/making-open-source-more-inclusive-eradicating-problematic-language
> [3] - https://github.com/avocado-framework/avocado/discussions/4384

>From a purely technical perspective I must say I am against this change. It is not in the
intent of the original creators of these terms to refer to any phenomena relating to human
society and other people or external party's choice to interpret the words out of their
original context should not be an obstacle in the workflow of the rest of us. I would like
to not lose from the role-descriptive power of these terms in order to adjust for such
misinterpretations.

I want to clarify that my views on this are purely technical and I am not attaching any
meaning to these other than the one they were conceived with in our workflows.

Best,
Plamen