seeking SRM device support info...

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Apr 2 16:29:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:01:09PM -0700, Buck Rekow wrote:

>   First, I've been trying to find out what DEC 64-bit PCI  multi channel
> scsi controller is supported by SRM 5.5-1 on PC164.
>
>  Aso, when dowloading firmware, I am told the latest for PC164 is
> version 5.6, yet when downloading what is purported to be the latest
> firmware, I always end up with SRM 5.5-1

SRM V5.5-1 is the last SRM version released for AlphaPC164.

This version has NO Adaptec drivers whatsoever, so 39160 is out.

The NCR/LSI/Symbios driver appears to top out at 875, as neither 895
nor 896 were recognized by the console.

Most likely the only multi-channel SCSI card supported is the so-called
KZPCM combo-card, with 2 875's plus TULIP 21140.

The above pre-supposes the desire to boot via SRM from the new controller.

If such is not the case, booting Linux from SRM via an older SCSI card
or IDE disk/CD (appears to need to be the primary) and then using the
Linux drivers for the desired card would be workable.

Also, booting via MILO may offer a few more options, but it is even
unlikely to support more recent 64-bit cards...

>  Of course now that I'm here I should ask; Does anyone know what a "670
> machine check" is?  I get these on shutdown (debian stable) and am
> instructed by the firmware to hit the halt switch (appropriate large red
> intermittent button). I do this, but am only rewarded by all the leds on
> my box blinking... and no console...

Machine checks are of four (4) types, as in the following table:

Code      Reason                  Example or Common Cause
====      ======                  =======================

620	System Correctable        correctable errors in the memory subsystem

630	Processor Correctable     correctable cache and TLB errors

660	System Uncorrectable      unrecoverable memory errors

670	Processor Uncorrectable   unrecoverable cache or TLB errors, or
                                  read of a non-existent I/O space location

A likely cause of your 670 is a driver touching non-existent I/O or
memory location. What kernel version is it?

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com