3-Pin Fan Header Pin Order

Chris Meadors axp at clubneon.com
Fri Apr 2 21:17:39 UTC 2004

I just got two new Sunon 60mm fans for my 21164 based 5300.

The 3-pin power leads were obviously wired for PCs.  I looked at my old
fan, and moved the wires on the new one to match.

I'm saying that pin 1 is the left most, when the keyed side of the is
down, and the holes for the pins on the header are facing away from you.

I wired the new fan as:

1 Positive
2 RPM sensor
3 Ground

When I power up my machine the fans are spinning, but the LCD display
says fan failed during the self test.  As soon as it gets to starting
CPU 1, it powers the machine off.

Two questions.  Do I have the wires in the right order?  (I'd think so,
else the fan wouldn't be spinning).  Can a fan be too fast, or are the
Alphas real picky about the RPM signal?

Thanks.

--
Chris