3-Pin Fan Header Pin Order

Jeff DeMaagd jeffdm at iserv.net
Fri Apr 2 21:54:35 UTC 2004

Chris Meadors wrote:
> I wired the new fan as:
>
> 1 Positive
> 2 RPM sensor
> 3 Ground
>
> When I power up my machine the fans are spinning, but the LCD display
> says fan failed during the self test.  As soon as it gets to starting
> CPU 1, it powers the machine off.
>
> Two questions.  Do I have the wires in the right order?  (I'd think so,
> else the fan wouldn't be spinning).  Can a fan be too fast, or are the
> Alphas real picky about the RPM signal?

I think you might just have the wrong pin order.  I think it might be
possible that you have the RPM sensor and a power lead swapped.  It
really depends on how the fan's internal circuitry is wired, but the fan
_might_ still spin if it were grounded or powered through the sensor
lead.  I've seen stuff like that happen before.

Jeff