Java JDK(JRE)-1.3.1 from Compaq on FC2 Alpha

Adrian Zaugg adi at geo.unizh.ch
Mon Aug 30 21:44:33 UTC 2004

Hi Andrija

Somehow, I have troubles using your workaround. Without inserting the
three lines in java, java -version works. As soon as I insert them, I
get the following errors:

# /usr/java/jdk1.3.1/bin/java -version
basename: error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/lib/libcwait.so: ELF file's phentsize not the expected size
uname: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libcwait.so:
ELF file's phentsize not the expected size
uname: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libcwait.so:
ELF file's phentsize not the expected size
ls: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libcwait.so:
ELF file's phentsize not the expected size
expr: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libcwait.so:
ELF file's phentsize not the expected size
expr: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libcwait.so:
ELF file's phentsize not the expected size
dirname: error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/lib/libcwait.so: ELF file's phentsize not the expected size
dirname: error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/lib/libcwait.so: ELF file's phentsize not the expected size
Error: can't find libjava.so.

For the last error, it should find it:

# ls -l /usr/lib/libjava.so
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 41 Aug 30 23:32 /usr/lib/libjava.so ->
../java/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so

and

# dir ../java/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 407428 Jul 20  2001
../java/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so

The other errors are beyond my knowledge... Could you please give me a hint?

Thank you!

Regards, Adrian.

Andrija Pantovic wrote:

> Here is a workarround for Java 1.3.1 from HP/Compaq/DEC that helps it working
> (you need to have latest glibc otherwise java crashes with segfault):
[...]