Java JDK(JRE)-1.3.1 from Compaq on FC2 Alpha

U. George gatgul at gatworks.com
Tue Aug 31 03:54:57 UTC 2004

I suspect that the shell wrapper is trying to run some programs, where
the dynamic linker is having problems with the shared library "libcwait.so"

I think that you will find that "/usr/java/jdk1.3.1/bin/java" is a
symbolic link to .java_wrapper - a shell script. Trace that ( sh -x
/usr/java/jdk1.3.1/bin/java ) and you might see that the shell script
tries to run "basename", but the dynamic linker barfs with the error:

> basename: error while loading shared libraries:
> /usr/local/lib/libcwait.so: ELF file's phentsize not the expected size

I dont know what phentsize is, or how to correct that. But if the shell
script wants to use "basename" then your LD_LIBRARY_PATH should point to
where basename can find the libraries it was compiled against.

theory is that one can replace dynamic libraries at whim, and everything
should be A-OK. Its just not always true!
/gat