Alpha Source Code?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Dec 7 16:29:05 UTC 2004

On 07 Dec, 2004, at 01:41, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Buck Rekow wrote:
>
>> no aparc, mips, or alpha.. what's wrong with these people?
>
> Heh.  Well, I feel the same as you from an ideological and
> enthusiast viewpoint, at least as far as Alpha is concerned.
> We've got a handful of people internally (myself included) who
> would love to revive Alpha officially, but that would have to be
> entirely volunteer based on non-work hours to happen.  Sadly,
> non-work hours are rare, and mostly occupied by other things in
> life by all of us currently it seems.  ;o)

Look at it this way.

If Red Hat had mainstreamed Alpha, they would have a 64bit clean line
that could get ported to the other 64 bit platforms, like Power and
PowerPC with minimal problems.

Since AMD64 can mask a multitude of 32bit-x86 architecture dependent
problems, one assumes that the "core" is anything but "64 bit clean."
(Whatever that means.)

I remember discussions with one of the roving RedHat bus teams several
years ago, just before RH and Q dumped Alpha, about how 64-bit
computing was the future and being told, "No, x86 is the future."

Oh well, such is life.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com