Alpha Core Directions

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean_seb at videotron.ca
Wed Dec 22 20:16:04 UTC 2004

Great thread, I always like hearing what others do with their Alphas.

I'd just like to throw in my two cents.

> From what i can see the current Alpha Linux users are mainly in two
> groups:
> 1) A "hobby" set, as you touched on
> 2) a fair amount of people are still running Alpha servers and
> clusters for scientific computing. they may now be "old" machines, but
> they still find them useful, and will not retire them anytime soon.

Of course, there's a gray area between these two groups, but I think you
hit it on the nose. In my case, I use my Alpha (an Alpha XL 366, boots
with milo, has about 11GB disk and 512MB RAM) as my household server, so
I'm in both categories (it isn't mission-critical, but it's still a
server).

The machine is firewall, gateway, and DHCP for 4 other machines, as well
as FTP and web server for the outside world (the site whose address is
in my signature). I also use it for some perl work, and sometimes to
test out some C++ and OpenGL code and make sure it's cross-platform. In
my coding work, I use Bugzilla which is also installed on that machine,
and lately it also became my Subversion server as well (I wanted to
experiment).

I agree that the base installation could be fairly minimal, and we could
(collectively) set up a yum server to be able to get whatever wasn't
included. Right now, I use Debian on the machine, but I would like to
switch to AlphaCore sometime soon, and I admit that it's the package
system I'll miss most. The fact I can just say "Hey, I'd like to try
that text editor out" (for example), type apt-get <packagename>, and
it's installed, will be missed.

Anyways, keep up the good work and happy holidays to everyone!

J-S

Jean-Sébastien Guay   jean_seb at videoton.ca
            http://whitestar02.webhop.org/