XL-266 install

Donsbach, Jeff jeff.donsbach at hp.com
Fri Feb 20 18:25:02 UTC 2004

Hi Trevor,

I am in a similar position as you with an XL366, another of the "white
box" systems designed for NT only. All those systems require MILO for
the Linux boot loader as there is no SRM console firmware available for
those systems.

The "4/xxx" and "5/xxx" names refered to whether the model was an EV4 or
an EV5 chip as the CPU. The XL/233 and 266 were EV4 (well, EV45
actually). The XL/300, 366 and 433 (sometimes called XLT systems) were
EV5 (the 300 was an EV5 while the 366 and 433 were EV56).

One of the best places to grab MILO and linload are actually from the
Debian mirrors, such as here -
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-alpha/current/MILO/

You can either

1) Grab the files "linload.exe" and "xl" and copy them to a floppy.
However, you need to rename "xl" to "milo.exe" .
2) Grab milo_xl.bin and write it to a floppy from Windows using
"rawrite" or similar, or on another Linux system, use the "dd" command
to write the image to a floppy.

I don't remember; does the XL/266 have AlphaBios, or did it still have
the old "ARC" console? In either case, you will need to set up an OS
boot menu entry to boot "linload.exe" from the floppy. The details on
how to do that are similar for either console but I don't know that I
remember enough of what it looked like to guide you through it.

Once in MILO, you would then enter a second boot command to boot the
Linux kernel from the CD and start the installation.

Your existing disks probably have a small "FAT" partition (10 Meg or
less) on one of them that was required to boot NT and Win2K from. You
can leave that there if you want and copy linload.exe and milo.exe to
that partition and have the console boot from there so that you won't
need to keep the floppy to boot from.

Jeff D