XL-266 install

Mike Foley mike-spam at yelof.com
Thu Feb 26 15:37:43 UTC 2004

	API spun it's own SRM based on the licensed SRM
	from DECpaq. Some of the things they did was
	add DOS FAT partition support and specific hardware
	support. I don't think the DOS FAT support made it
	back to DECpaq however. (eliminated the need for BSD
	disk labelling)

	When API folded, they were within weeks of releasing
	a replacement for SRM based on the Linux kernel. Try as
	I might to fight to get it released, it didn't happen.

	With it, you could boot from the kernel in the flash or
	use the kernel in the flash to load a kernel on disk.
	There was also support for managing NVRAM from /proc.

	It was all very cool stuff and it's a true shame it
	was never released. (tho I do have an early copy buried
	away someplace, I'm not about to release it. I can't
	afford lawyers.)  I might have the PowerPoint presentation
	I did that explained it further, if anyone is interested.

						mike