XL-266 install

U. George gatgul at gatworks.com
Sat Feb 21 00:47:36 UTC 2004

Since its not either the noname, or the lx it, musta have been either
the 150mhz (first one - jensen. Used Eisa kards ) or the 3000 ( i think
also 150mhz, but fancy propiatary bus ).
It came with a NT arc as default. But u can ask ARC for the SRM console
if you wanted to. It was sorta one way, as ARC knew about SRM, but SRM
didnt know about ARC. It all fit in the boot prom ( or whatever ). Maybe
SRM image fitted on the boot disk partition, which arc knew how to load
- I dunno.
with more ARC releases that switch eventually did nothing, as you
couldnt fit both images on the same prom. Eventually the switch went away.
Sorta like the functional "setting the time" via the SRM also went away
due to space limitations ( to support various SCSI, or ide controllers )

Yup, with the newer SRM's you also get the latest PAL code. But wasnt
that PAL code erased and loaded with the old standard ,works everywhere,
"bread board" version that was publically available as source libraries?
Wasnt all the other machine-specific PAL codes sightly different? And no
source. And no license. And no real public explanation of the nuances.

Maybe you like SRM, but i'd like to erase MTA's, DKA's and some of the
other "Dec" (ultrix, osf, vax ) lingo.

this is as i remember.

As time went by