XL-266 install

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Feb 20 22:44:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:56:51PM -0500, U. George wrote:

> It was the same for the no-name ( 166-233mhz )  , and I think for the
> lx164 also .

I think you may be remembering that some platforms could only hold one
console image at a time (ARC/AlphaBIOS or SRM, but not both); indeed,
LX164 and several others were of this flavor.

Others, like XL-233/266 and XLT-300/366/433 were never sold with an
SRM console, and were intended to be run ONLY with ARC/AlphaBIOS and
NT.

> When NT/alpha became unsupported u had a choice of getting
> and installing the srm console. Arc console was more friendly though.

You only had that choice on platforms (such as LX164) which supported
both consoles.

> Although over time, due to lack of use, you forget how to properly
> start either types of consoles.

Indeed... :-)

> I'm not too sure if *prefered* matters anymore.  There was no more
> support for the NT stuff at that time.  Now, or very soon, there wont be
> any support for the SRM either.  I'm sure that (dec/compaq ) HP now
> prefers a whole another approach.

We prefer SRM whenever possible, for now and forever, because the
PALcode that comes with it is "production quality". The PALcode that
MILO provides (one can't easily, or at all, run Linux with NT PALcode)
was based on EBSDK PALcode, which was supplied as-is for informational
purpopses only, and differs significantly from SRM PALcode in
stability and correctness (but was "good enough" for our purposes at
the time).

> if you can get the linload/milo boot sequence working from arc, i would
> keep the arc console.  After all you may find the NT/3.5 CD's around
> somewhere ! :-}

Ebay? ;-}

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com