New question about OS hang up.

Nickolas Falkner jnick at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jul 6 12:12:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

> Now the new problem comes:
> When system (linux-redhat-alpha-7.2)booting, the os always hangs up at
> the two procedure:
> 1.booting eth0
> or
> 1.mounting other file system.

 From my experience, you are probably not using the correct driver for
your network card - in my case I couldn't get an Etherlink III card
working properly and it would hang the machine on start-up every time.
I ended up replacing it with an Intel PCI 10/100 and it worked. The
Etherlink III was ISA and I tried the Intel before I started messing
around with the settings on the Etherlink card. Someone on the list may
have good information for the settings on this. I know it wasn't just
that Etherlink card as I tried five of them, they're a dime a dozen
around here, before I convinced someone to let me have a PCI card to
try.

If you are using an old tulip card then the tulip drivers may not work
for you and you'll have to use the de4x5 drivers instead. Again, this
has worked for me.

Anyway, to get your system to the point where you can do this you'll
have to get it to complete booting so here is the way to bypass the
hang for eth0.

When the system is booting, and says 'Type I for interactive startup',
hit 'I'. The system will now prompt you for the elements of startup.
Say yes until you get to bringing the network up and then say No when
asked if you wish to bring up eth0.

If the other file systems are coming in from NFS then it may be bad
network connectivity that is causing a time-out, rather than a strict
hang. Try fixing your network card first and see what happens.

--
-- Nick Falkner
-- PhD Student