Fedora from Mike Barnes

Arkadiy Chapkis - Arc achapkis at dls.net
Mon Jul 12 22:25:29 UTC 2004

  Hello everyone!

  I am happy to inform you that I've got Mike's Fedora installed and running on my Miata as of last Sunday. The
installation process was hectic and cumbersome, since the only bootable media I had was RH7.2
  Here's the overall process that took me 6 hours (in case anyone is interested):

1. Booted and installed base RH7.2 system. This was optional as I didn't want to have a complexity over the packages
place. But I did manage to pull all the packaged (2.8G) onto a single partition.

2. Booted RH7.2 CD into resque mode. mkfs.ext3 on future / and /usr/local (optional) partitions (since I already had
those from the step 1, but didn't want to update RH7.2 packages). Then mounted them under /mnt/root,
/mnt/root/usr/local and /mnt/root/data (later still has packages).

3. Install packages with rpm -Uh --root=/mnt/root  This step was most time consuming as I didn't want to install
everything and at the same time wanted to follow dependencies. I still had to overcome some cyclical dependencies, but
there weren't many of them. Unfortunately I didn't write down the order, but I guess it's part of anaconda's config.

4. After about 500 pkgs installed, I figure it's time to try the installation. However I still needed to manually
master some config files (/etc/hosts, /etc/aboot.conf, /etc/fstab, /etc/sysconfig/network etc). One more thing that got
me on reboot is initrd.img was missing SCSI driver for my system. Had to do mkinitrd to fix it.

5. Booted the system up and enjoyed nice KDE interface. KStars doesn't crash anymore :)

  Special thanks to Mike and Balint for making all these packages!

                                      Arc C.
                                      achapkis at dls.net