cluster of 14 old Alphas for sale

Jack Wathey wathey at salk.edu
Tue Jun 29 18:17:20 UTC 2004

I have an old (late 1997, early 1998) cluster of Alphas that needs a good
home.  It may be too obsolete for the serious number cruncher, but could
still be of some value to the hobbyist, educator, or maintainer of a
larger cluster in need of parts.  Here are the details:

    Beowulf cluster of 14 DEC Alpha 21164a processors, 512MHz, 1GB of 10ns
    sdram per node, with 16-port 100Mbps Ethernet switch.  Each node is in
    its own mid-tower case with 2GB scsi disk, except server node, which
    has 2 scsi disks, 8GB and 4GB.  Server has 4MB Matrox Millennium II
    video card.  Each client has a 1MB Diamond video card.  Ethernet
    cables and 2 surge protectors included.  No keyboard, mouse or monitor
    included.  Also included: almost enough spare parts to make a 15th node
    (everything but NIC, scsi controller and mid-tower case).  Redhat Linux,
    cpml, PVM, rgang and bru for Alpha installed.  Compaq C++ compiler
    included on CDROM, SRM manual in 3-ring binder. Also included: 2 full
    sets of rescue floppies and 7 pages of notes on how to get started
    with this cluster, for the beowulf newbie.  The nodes were originally
    built by DCG Computers, so the quality is good.

I will sell this really cheap, or maybe even donate it to a sufficiently
worthy cause.  I would like to avoid the hassle and cost of boxing and
shipping it, so it would be best if it could go to someone within easy
driving distance of my southern California location who is willing to pick
it up and take it away.

Please make an offer if you're interested.

Thanks,
Jack