Best XF86 version?

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Mon Mar 8 20:53:55 UTC 2004

To the list:

I am using an XP1000 and a PWS500 with varius video cards.  The stock RH 7.2
Xserver has always been a little goosey on both machines. I looked around for
an improved Xserver and found patches in the George France "updates"; alpha
binaries for 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 at the XFree86 site; and a 4.3 source code tar
file on a German FTP site.

I used the 4.3 source on my PWS500, its had a couple missing dependencies,
but seemed to build and install OK.  It was set up to build with the Compaq C
Compiler, so that's what i used. After a kind of jerky start it seems to run
OK, with none of the little white static/noise I was used to seeing on my
Permedia-type cards.

What is list experience with recent versions of XF86?  Are there versions to
avoid?  Is my 4.3 version gonna blow up? Are there better Xservers for the
XP/PWS series machines?

thanks for your assistance

jn

I couldn't afford a Maserati, so I got a DEC Alpha instead

www.thursdaybicycles.com  check it out!