Other distros (was RE: Waxing Philosophical)

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Sat Oct 2 17:47:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 01:25:11PM -0400, Allen Ziegenfus wrote:
> On the fine day of Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:15:13 -0600
> Michal Jaegermann <michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca> said very
> eloquently:
>
> > The problem is that when you installed new libraries then whatever
> > still needs old versions will not start.

> I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but after running
> Gentoo for a year my system has become very unreliable in terms of
> various applications crashing frequently.

No, not that.  Discounting an existence of bugs if you are switching
shared libraries then your old applications should either not to notice
that, if interfaces remained intact, or simply refuse to start.  Yes,
there are some ways to mess that either-or situation too, especially
when some will forget that ints and pointers do not have to be of the
same size, but I would assume that there is more than one person running
Gentoo on 64-bit processors and a feedback does exist.

> But I wonder how much Gentoo has really been thought out.

This I cannot tell you and maybe there are indeed some troubles there,
or maybe not, but did you try to check if your machine memory is not
giving up or you have some other hardware problems?

   Michal