Other distros (was RE: Waxing Philosophical)

Allen Ziegenfus listmail at allenz.net
Tue Oct 5 02:31:09 UTC 2004

On the fine day of Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:51:24 -0400
"Donsbach, Jeff" <jeff.donsbach at hp.com> said very eloquently:

> Allen Ziegenfus [listmail at allenz.net] wrote:
> > It doesn't seem like constantly updating your packages results in
> stability.
>
> But, the point is your don't NEED to constantly upgrade. Sure, there
> might be reasons why you want to upgrade certain packages, such as for
> new features, or for security fixes which every distro has. But if
> what you have works for you, why bother upgrading?

I agree with you; I just wish I knew that before I started using gentoo.
Part of my situation was that I was very frustrated at the time, having
been marooned in RH 7.1 with old versions of apps. So when I switched to
gentoo I was excited about having everything up to date all the time.
This led to a number of seemingly random crashes.

My strategy now is to only do security upgrades and upgrades of apps
that have needed new features. Then maybe once or twice a year I'll just
rebuild the whole system. I always keep an extra partition around for
this purpose. It's really easy to do a chroot install in the extra
partition and get a new system going. I just did this, and my new
gentoo system works great.

Is it possible to do a chroot install of Fedora?

AZ