Ongoing Core 2 Port Status

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Wed Sep 15 22:21:26 UTC 2004

Mike Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:07:58 -0500, Richard Irving <rirving at antient.org> wrote:
>
>>   BTW: Target for this install is a twin EV56 TinCup,
>>a couple gigs of ram... and 72 gigs, or so, of disk ..
>
> We've never booted the SMP kernel on a machine with more than one
> processor at any point - none of us have one. It's a completely
> unknown area right now. I'd be very interested to see what happens. :)

     :{

   Does this variant compile the kernel, well ?

   (7.2 had issues, at least on the EV56)

   If it does at least make the basics, I may be able to  tweak it until
  it makes it.

  BTW: The FTP site is set up. I await new drive arrival, and the aforementioned
  CD's... once here, I will mount the drives under the pub dir, and
  load up the Carmen tree, and the ISO for throwing, and FTP install.

> If anyone _has_ booted the 2.6.6-1.435 SMP kernel, please let me know.

   I will, as soon as I do....

   SMP for RH 7.2 is smooth, but that is a known.

  So much so, BTW, that 2 new EV56 CPUs just arrived today, for a couple
other servers we have!

   :)

  I have never had so much fun heating the South Wan room!

   :P

>>   Has anyone had any luck with USB drivers,
>>and ->USB PCI boards<-, on this platform ?
>>   The one PCI (A 32 bit card) USB card I tried
>>to install, generated a PCI Bus Parity error,
>>and subsequent SRM panic.
>

> I've got a card sitting on my bench that I've been getting around to
> trying for a while. My last free PCI slot is currently taken up by an
> ATA-133 card which I needed to get some scratch space. I haven't tried
> yet, but will soon. It's a combination USB2/Firewire card, so I'm very
> curious about both of those functions.
>
> Right now, untested ...

    DROOOL!

    Let me know....

    Imagine the world of USB meeting the Alpha....

    Need 200 gigs of Backup Disk ?

    150 bucks, and one USB port.

    How about a 1 gig Memstick ?

    * slobber *

>>  Also, in this Fedora, has the i960 DAC Drivers,
>>  matured ?
>>   TIA, for any clue that saves me from paying the
>>blood price... ;)
>

> Again, no idea. There's a lot of that going around, isn't there? Heh.

   Hehehehe.

    I'll let you know... the 7.2 variant didn't like them.

   * cough * * choke * * sputter* * puke *

   And my Debian Sarge install blew up while dropping the kernel
   to the drive... but, it isn't Debians fault... that drive
   had an issue, it needs re-lowlevel formatting...  I knew
   better. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

   So, I ordered a slew of new ones to try
   the New Fedora, Debian, and host throw space for ANON-FTP for the
   aforementioned distributions and ISO's.

    UPS is already tracking them.

    (I don't have to heart to enable symlink follows for ANON,
     it is going to have to be hard, not soft.)

     Once bitten, twice shy.

     Or, as they say in Blue Speak....

      "Once SMIT-ten, Byte Shy."

     It's a little endian Blue joke... oh... never mind.....

     8-)