Ongoing Core 2 Port Status

Gary Molenkamp gary at sharcnet.ca
Wed Sep 15 20:56:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Mike Barnes wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:07:58 -0500, Richard Irving <rirving at antient.org> wrote:
> >    BTW: Target for this install is a twin EV56 TinCup,
> > a couple gigs of ram... and 72 gigs, or so, of disk ..
>
> We've never booted the SMP kernel on a machine with more than one
> processor at any point - none of us have one. It's a completely
> unknown area right now. I'd be very interested to see what happens. :)
>
> If anyone _has_ booted the 2.6.6-1.435 SMP kernel, please let me know.

I'm trying to get FC2 to boot on an ES45 (4 ev68's with 8Gb Ram) using the
'rpm --root' option without any luck on any kernel.

I keep getting either:
	kernel stack invalid error
	or a hang after loading kernel
Note: both on serial console

I've built this root from base rpms similar to how I built my compute
nodes on my FC2-x86_64 beowulf cluster.  Also taking into account the
usual alpha requirements:
	aboot
	bsd partitions (with sector offset for boot partition)

I'm perfectly willing to give shell access to a few people who want to do
some smp testing (once I get it booting independantly under FC2).

--
Gary Molenkamp			SHARCNET
Systems Administrator		University of Western Ontario