Alpha Core ISO Images

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 14:51:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:47:02 -0400, Jay Estabrook
<jestabro at linux04.mro.cpqcorp.net> wrote:
> I got to the point of starting the install, on the DS10 with a PCI
> Radeon 7500 using the GUI, and everything looked very good (and very
> familiar :-), but CD#4 image is at work and I'm at home, so I'll
> continue from there...

Compares very well with the development system, then. I've got a
Radeon 7000 in mine. Runs quite nicely. Tuxracer looks good. :)

> The first batch of machines I'll try it on will prolly be:
>         DS20
>         LX164
>         MIATA

I've had a terrible time with using IDE disks on the Miata, but this
is nothing new. SCSI works perfectly. We've also have an LX164 board
up and running.

> Anyone have suggestions for additional boxes, or order change?

We really need to confirm if the SMP kernel actually works. If
anyone's got an SMP Alpha system, I'd appreciate a report.

> Can you tell me a bit about the kernel: will it work on the
> TITAN-based boxes (non-LEGACY_ADDRESS boxen), or is it built to
> support MILO-based machines, like XL/XLT (ie LEGACY_ADDRESS boxen)?
> Is the SRPM available for download somewhere?

I'll pop the current SRPM up sometime in the next few hours. The one
sitting in the Carmen tree at
ftp://ftp.maths.monash.edu.au/pub/carmen/ should be almost identical,
though. Check the configs bundled in that. Tweaks to the kernel config
would be great to get back. It's a pretty basic setup modelled mostly
on the current x86 defaults right now.