Alpha Core ISO Images

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Tue Sep 28 17:46:41 UTC 2004

Mike Barnes wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:47:02 -0400, Jay Estabrook
> <jestabro at linux04.mro.cpqcorp.net> wrote:
>
> We really need to confirm if the SMP kernel actually works. If
> anyone's got an SMP Alpha system, I'd appreciate a report.

   If we hadn't had the bad images on .ro,
you would already know. :(

  I have 3 1200's w/ Dual Procs, and one 5003 w/ Dual Procs.

  (Yeah, I know, they are almost identical but little things count....)

  I will be testing tonight on a 1 Gig Ram,
~1/4 Terabyte, Dual 21164 533mhz Room Heater.

  If all goes well, I will remount the Dual DAC i960's and external
Storage Works Drives.... and flesh out the remainder of a Terabyte.
(With better IO's than the NCR internal)

  I tested the Debian release, I -like- Sarge and its new installer... but,
anything beyond the 2.4. kernel failed for me... (Generic)

   The SMP didn't work, and recompiling didn't work.

  And, compiling with the EV56 setting for the kernel
resulted in a compile that according to the command line
in the background, was passing an EV6 flag to the assembler...

  (I don't think the EV6 instruction set is backwardly compatible...
    so someone is making a bad assumption)

  Needless to say, the kernel compile didn't take.

  Then I ran out of time... but,  the Debian Net installer
had packages I haven't seen in years, and was SWEET.

   BTW: The New Images are Online...

   FTP://Fedora-AXP.Antient.Org/pub/

    Have at it.