Waxing Philosophical

mike seafire at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 30 02:00:13 UTC 2004

Why do I use Alpha?

I've been on this list for ages. My first exposure to Linux was when I bought
a UDB from Starship on a lark and there was a RedHat 3.0.3 CD with it.
Learned a lot about Alpha and Linux. Both have changed since then. Many moons
ago, I did my bit by giving D. Hinds some help with the PCMCIA stuff since he
didn't have an alpha to test with. I'm planning to help again by trying the
new .isos when I get the chance. (Not that there's a big call for Multia
functionality anymore but it would be nice to upgrade to a more recent distro
on my machine.)

I still use my Multia as the computer I hook to the cable modem. It's
absolutely astounding the number of attempted breakins that the Alpha has
thwarted simply by virtue of it NOT being an Intel architecture machine.
(Although not being a windows machine helps, too. I even gave Cox some help
from my system logs to catch some cracker a$$holes. Their systems were all
Winbloated and Intel based and couldn't log the buggers.)

Will I keep using it? You betcha. As long as I can keep it running. I'm on my
second actual box now (power plug on the mobo corroded) and I've got two more
unused hulks remaining after 8 years of loyal service.

Alpha is dead? Baloney!

(P.S. I wouldn't mind trying to find a cheap way to "upgrade" my Alpha system
if anybody has some ideas. Ebay just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy when I look
at what's on there.)