Other distros (was RE: Waxing Philosophical)

Donsbach, Jeff jeff.donsbach at hp.com
Thu Sep 30 15:58:35 UTC 2004

Mike Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:35:23 -0400, Davis Johnson <davis at frizzen.com>
wrote:
>> My current windmill to tilt at is simultaniously/in parallel building

>> linux-from-scratch ( http://www.linuxfromscratch.org ) on i386. alpha

>> and sparc32. I'm rolling my own scripts as I go. I've got ppc  and
>> mips machines that need miscelanious bits of kit.
>
> I've thought about that on several occasions. Don't think I've got the
patience for Linux from Scratch, > though. :) The one I've got my eye on
as an interesting system, and which I may try building on Alpha at >
some point, is Gobo Linux. Their site is at http://www.gobolinux.org/,
but it's frequently down.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll check them out (boy, the Gobolinux site is
really slow!)

I've become a Gentoo fan myself. The Portage system is really nice at
keeping things up to date. Being source based (if you want to start at
that a Stage 1 install), I guess it would have some of the advantages of
LFS (like compiling with gcc flags tuned for your box) without the
difficulties (which Portage handles for you). And since you keep your
system as up to date as YOU want, there really is no notion of
"releases" of the whole system; only individual packages.

In fact, if anyone wants to give it a go, there is a new Gentoo LiveCD
for Alpha that needs some more testing. See here -
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=221670 . Post your results in
the forum if it works for you.

Jeff D