installation problems - Help will be appreciated - Getting er ror during boot

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Thu Sep 30 16:16:45 UTC 2004

Padiyath Sreekumaran wrote:

>   Hello,
>    To my installation problem the answer from Richard Irving helped
>   to certain extend. Thanks.

   It is a start... but, the journey of thousand miles
begins with but the first step.

  "Life is a journey, not a destination"

>   According to him I have to just write the .iso
>   files to CD. I have created the first CD and tried to boot from it
>   with the following command:
>
>   prompt>boot dka500 -fl 0 (failed with error)
>
>   prompt>boot dka500 -fl 2  (failed with error)
>
>   I got the following error:
>
>   Aboot: no disklabel found

   Hrmm... Looks like you got to aboot...

   Which version of disk1 do you have ??

  There was a foul one found on the .ro download site,
for a  brief period of time.... and I see from below that
is where you got your files..

  You may want to re-download your files.... just in case.

FYI: the .au site is the origin, at the moment.

  A disklabel in this case is a partition, and usually
corresponds to en entry in the /boot/etc/aboot.conf file.

  When you specified -fl 0 it went for the first partition in the list,
and errored out.

  When you told aboot via  "-fl 2" was to be booted, it looked for
entry 2 in the aboot table... and in this case,
I think, didn't find one.

   So flailing -did- tell you that you were at least
getting to aboot.. it is a start.

   I haven't check my reburn of the disk 1, perhaps
tonight after the Presidential Debate. To see if I have
improved luck, myself...

  I am having issues on the same kind of machine,
but I reburned a couple CD's just in case it is
a media error.

  As, they are claiming to have already had success with these
type of machines....

  We may have to start by eliminating variables, one flail at a
  times...

   :)

  "Flog something enough, and eventually it will yield! ( usually.....)"

      - Pontias Pilate