AC 0.9 boot problem

pawel.oleksiak at rieberson.no pawel.oleksiak at rieberson.no
Tue Apr 5 05:44:40 UTC 2005

I have problem with install AC 0.9 and I found the similar problem in
archive:

  Alpha Core and AS 1200 Install
  ERRORS...

  From: Sidney A. Hawks (shawks
  (Embedded image moved to file:
  pic11104.gif)tampabay.rr.com)
  Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 23:15:15
  CST
        [ thread ] [ subject ] [
        author ]

  Gentlemen,

  I have an Alpha Server 1200 5/533
  EV56 with dual Alpha Processors and
  768 MB
  memory. Redhat 7.2 installs without
  any issues after I updated the
  DAC960
  raid card. I have/had
  (some/average) experience with
  Linux OS's over the
  years but I can't fiqure out the
  problem I'm having with the Alpha
  Core
  Install and thought I'd give you a
  chance.

  The install process begins normally
  goes past the PAL code process,
  Loads
  the kernel and then I get the
  following screen:
  PS: I have no way to capture screen
  output so I have to keep switching
  buttons on my masterview kvm
  switch, But it is word for word.

  -----------------------------------
  ----------------------
  P000>boot dka500

  Initializing machine state
  setting affinity to the primary cpu

  jumping to bootstrap code
  aboot: linux alpha SRM bootloader
  version 0.9b
  aboot: switching to OSF/1 PALcode
  version 1.23
  aboot: booting from device 'SCSI 1
  1 0 5 500 6000 11000'
  aboot: no disklabel found
  iso: max size 307827 log zone
  size:2048
  iso: first datazone:28 root inode
  number 57344
  aboot: loading compressed
  /kernels/vmlinux.gz...
  aboot: zero-filling 335640 bytes at
  )xfffffc000079baa8
  aboot: loading initrd (4667345
  bytes/4557 blocks) at
  )xfffffc004f9f8000
  aboot: starting /kernels/vmlinux.gz
  with arguments

  halted CPU 0

  halt code=7
  machine check while in PAL mode
  PC = 16d5c

  Your system has halted due to an
  unrecoverable error. Record the
  error halt
  code and PC and contact your
  digital services rep. In addition
  type INFO 3
  and INFO 8 at the console and
  record the results.
  boot failure
  P000>

  -----------------------------------
  -------------

  Any help would be GREATLY
  appreciated.

Can anybody help me with it? I have AS 4100; the last release of firmware;
installed RH 7.2

Or help with upgrade 7.2 to Alpha Core 0.9 /1.0....

It is problem with graphics card? or what?

Pawel

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed
and is not intended to be relied upon by any persons without subsequent
written confirmation of its contents. Accordingly, Rieber & Son
disclaim all responsibility and accept no liability (including negligence)
for the consequences for any person acting, or refraining from acting, on
such information prior to the receipt by those persons of subsequent
written confirmation.

If you have received this E-mail message in error, please notify us
immediately by telephone. Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer.

distribution and/or publication of this E-mail message is strictly
prohibited.

Rieber & Son ASA
postmaster at rieberson.no
Bergen, Norway