aboot not working or something

Nelson Brito ntbrito at fc.up.pt
Tue Apr 5 10:00:42 UTC 2005

Hi,
I've been watching all this discussion without interfering because you
are having the best help one can have in this list. The people who's
helpping you helpped me a lot in the past :-)
The very same problem happened to me with RH 7.2 i used fdisk to write
the disk label (BSD mode) but when i tried to assign the partitions with
disk druid they weren't there...
First let me say that when you start fdisk it is already in bsd mode,
that's why you don't see any b option. If you leave fdisk with "q" you
should go back to "dos mode". What i did at the time (if i remember) was
to write the partition table in "dos mode". I created the partions (bsd
label), leave without writing and then write them on "normal fdisk" with
"w".

Regards,
nelson

bdina at seresc.net wrote:
> Quoting Michal Jaegermann <michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca>:
>
>>I cannot check that at this moment but it somehow hard to believe
>>that 'fdisk' you got on  AC-0.9 CDs is unable to write disklabels.
>>As a matter of fact 'b' is really a regular facility for a Linux
>>fdisk even if it is not used that often on a given platform.  I just
>>looked on x86 and x86_64 installations and surely enough it is
>>there.
>>

> I agree.  Somehow though something has changed.
>

>>> fdisk does always report it starts in BSD disklabel.
>>
>>Maybe that is a reason that 'b' is then turned off?  In any case if
>>you are printing partition tables then printouts for both types are
>>quite distinct so it is hard to take one for another.  If you do have
>>disklabel and you left unpartioned space at a disk start for aboot
>>then you are set.  /etc/aboot.conf is only a convenience.  You can
>>boot with '-fl i' and type whatever you desire at aboot prompt which
>>will then show up. /etc/aboot.conf can be added later.
>>

> why would my fdisk start in BSD disklabel, there must be data somewhere on that
> disk that is causing that.
>
> That (fdisk starting in BSD disklabel) must be why 'b' is turned off.
>
> I have left unpartitioned space (after the manual partitioning), however it is
> not as clean as I would like it to be, seeing as how I have the Free space, and
> the Foreign space.  Something is screwed up and I feel that I will need a "real"
> fresh start to correct everything.  I am going to try tomorrow and low level
> format the disk, and start over.  I am just going to boot from the CD, and use
> dd to remove all data.  Maybe that will get me back to normal.  I should be able
> to follow the directions I posted to the list, if I can't then something is
> wrong, and could cause other things down the line to also be wrong.
>
> --Bryan

Nelson Brito
http://www.fc.up.pt/pessoas/ntbrito