Another test iso image from AC1.0

Tony Hoover hoover at sal.ksu.edu
Sat Apr 16 12:46:25 UTC 2005

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Cristian is busy again and I allowed myself to build his latest kernel src
>>rpm.
>>Here is another "quick boot" test iso image from AC1.0:
>>ftp://ftp.rdsor.ro/pub/Linux/Distributions/AlphaLinux/core/1.0a/test/ac1-qboot1.iso
>>
>>It contains latest updates to kernel done by Cristian and should be able to
>>boot on all srm machines
>>(LEGACY_ADDRESS is switched off and kernel has video code from Jay). I hope
>>BIG Alphas could (should)
>>boot it too.
>>
>>Please, post your test results.
>>

>Boots on a dual-CPU DP264.  Seems to probe things properly and gets to the
>installation GUI.  However, video is "funny".  I'm running an old S3
>Trio64 PCI adapter, and the display gets snowy when the mouse is moved.
>Worse, once it gets to the X display I cannot recover the text console.
>After switching it shows a jumble of random colors.
>
>To be fair, almost all distributions seem to have problems with the S3
>card.  Can anyone recommend a PCI video adapter which will cooperate with
>both Linux and Tru64 5.1B?
>
>I'm looking forward to trying the release of AC1.0 - nice work folks!
>
>Steve

I had similar problems with a Trio64 under NT4 on a 164LX.  If you can
find an old Permedia 2 card, it will work for 2D but not 3D on Linux.  I
believe that under Tru64 it will work with 3D.  Matrox Millenium (2)
cards should do well in Linux, but I don't remember how well they are
supported under TRU64.  Currently, I am using an ATI Radeon 7000 DDR.