Memory for AlphaPC 164LX

Jim McCarthy jkmccarthy at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 6 23:24:11 UTC 2005

On Friday, 07 January, 2005 04:52AM, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Ted Goodridge, Jr. wrote:
>> PC133 works fine in 164LX's.  If you search archives you will see people
>> recommending it.  I recommend it also.
>>
>> There isn't a voltage difference between PC100 and PC133 (in fact by
design
>> they are fully backward compatable
>
> That may be so in terms of populating a 164LX, but not in general.  I have
> at least (2) machines in my collection, a Mac G4 Tower and an ASUS
> dual-PIII, which will not recognize PC133 memory of recent vintage.  The
> Mac sees 256MB PC133 modules as 128MB, while the ASUS board fails with
> random runtime errors.  "True" PC100 memory is getting expensive and
> difficult to find.

Back a few months ago when I was shopping (on eBay) for 256Mb DIMMs
for my DEC Alpha Personal Workstation 600au (AXP 21164), I recall
there was a distinction made regarding DIMMs populated with "low
density" SDRAM ... also referred to "double sided" DIMMs.  Maybe this
has something to do with the 164LX PC100/133 debate raging now ?

I can't speak to the 164LX motherboard, but for whatever it's worth
Micron MT18LSDT3272AG-10EB (or -10EE), 168-pin SDRAM, 32Mb x 72, ECC,
registered, unbuffered, 256Mb DIMMs work fine in my DEC PWS 600au.
Back a few months ago, the going rate on eBay for these was around
$30 each or so.

Good luck !

      -- Jim McCarthy