Memory for AlphaPC 164LX

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 7 12:51:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Ted Goodridge, Jr. wrote:

> > PC 133 memory is poison to some Alphas, maybe the 164 series too?  Also
> > chances are not good at getting your mobo to recognize anything over 256
> > meg per stick.  It might not see the larger stick at all, or might see
> > it as a smaller amount of RAM.
>
> PC133 works fine in 164LX's.  If you search archives you will see people
> recommending it.  I recommend it also.
>
> There isn't a voltage difference between PC100 and PC133 (in fact by design
> they are fully backward compatable

That may be so in terms of populating a 164LX, but not in general.  I have
at least (2) machines in my collection, a Mac G4 Tower and an ASUS
dual-PIII, which will not recognize PC133 memory of recent vintage.  The
Mac sees 256MB PC133 modules as 128MB, while the ASUS board fails with
random runtime errors.  "True" PC100 memory is getting expensive and
difficult to find.