164SX SCSI controllers, and the list quietness...

Nick Bright boberz at thewatch.org
Sat Jan 29 23:00:44 UTC 2005

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Lamar Owen wrote:
>

>>Man, it got quiet...
>>
>>In any case, got a 164SX board off eBay good and cheap, and have it
>>installed and AlphaCore 0.9 on it.
>>
>>I took the Symbios 53C825 controller that I had in the AS2100 (I am
>>installing a KZPAC in the AS2100, which works fine) and used it plus an
>>IBM 9.1GB UWSCSI drive to do the install.  The 164SX SRM just simply
>>worked with the 825 card, and things are happy.  Autoboot works fine;
>>SRM, aboot, and the kernel all are happy with the generic 825 card.
>>It's not the latest SRM; I think it is V5.4.
>>

>I picked up an Adaptec 39160 controller from eBay and am pleased to report
>that (a) SRM on my API UP2000+ recognizes it, (b) Linux boots and runs
>fine and, most important, Tru64 actually boots and runs on it as well!
>
>All around success <g>.
>
>Steve

Nice! I have tried a couple of Ultra 160 controllers on my PWS500, but
none have worked. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know of a
Ultra 160 controller that will function on a PWS unit? I have one of the
older revisions *without* USB, but I do have the latest firmware for it
from DEC.

 - Nick Bright