164SX SCSI controllers, and the list quietness...

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 29 23:16:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Nick Bright wrote:

> > I picked up an Adaptec 39160 controller from eBay and am pleased to report
> > that (a) SRM on my API UP2000+ recognizes it, (b) Linux boots and runs
> > fine and, most important, Tru64 actually boots and runs on it as well!
> >
> Nice! I have tried a couple of Ultra 160 controllers on my PWS500, but none
> have worked. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know of a Ultra 160
> controller that will function on a PWS unit? I have one of the older revisions
> *without* USB, but I do have the latest firmware for it from DEC.

If one of your failed attempts was a 39160, be sure that it wasn't a
Compaq OEM "pull".  There are reports which suggest that the gen-u-ine
Adaptec controller will work in cases where the OEM would not.  Of course,
it's also possible that the PWS (which I'm not familiar with) simply
predates the controller chipset.