AC 1.o install questions/help

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Mon Jun 13 20:56:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 03:37:19PM -0400, bob smith wrote:

> Had 7.2 on a 164LX box. SRM, 4 scsi drives, ATI radeon 7500, 7.2 worked
> fine.
> Oh, yeah it is a DCG box - 8-)

DCG... sigh; those were the days... :-)

> Attempting to install AC 1.0, I have this nagging little problem -
> I can not seem to get the /usr partition formatted on any drive.
> Tried different drives for the /usr partition - all in the box and working,
> no swapping in new hardware, all hardware known good working with
> 7.2
>
> Druid stops somewhere between 16 and 63 percent complete.
> how do I know that? using the non-graphics kernel, I get that
> percentage displayed on the screen. Sometimes it hangs at 16, some
> at 63. For HOURS.
>
> Drives are fine, I can reinstall 7.2, chkdsk does fine, al lthe cards in
> the box are supported.

Well, there's "SUPPORTED" and then there's "supported"... ;-}

A bit more detail about the actual HW would be helpful, primarily what
the SCSI controller is.

I've personally had problems with the NCR 810 controllers, both
builtin and separate, but later ones (875/895/896) appear OK, the new
QLogic (1280) driver seems to work with the 1020/1040 controllers I've
tried it on, and the Adaptec controllers (2940UW/39160) seem well
supported as well.

Also, it's possible the new SCSI drivers may be more picky about
termination, so checking that out is worthwhile as well.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com