Waaaay OT: OpenSolaris

Marco Benton marco at xssnet.com
Fri Jun 24 23:07:58 UTC 2005

Davis Johnson wrote:

> <...snip...>
>
> I am not a nutral observer. There are a thousand little things I don't
> like about Solaris. Most of them are extremly petty. For example, the
> standard solaris tar doesn't understand any compression options, tar
> -xvzf or tar -xvjf doesn't work. A great many of these issues can be
> solved by instaling everything at http://sunfreeware.com , but it is
> easier to just run linux if you want a GNU userspace.

i dont know of a real "UNIX" that comes with GNU tar.... Tru64, Solaris,
AIX, HP/UX, bla bla bla...  you always have a nice OpenSource CD that
comes seperately with the OS that has the GNU stuff.

using ALL GNU isnt necessarily a good thing.  if you prefer slow code
then sure...  if you want good fast code then you want DEC's compilers
or even Sun's that produces much faster code.  and some of the GNU
extensions are a little suspect with every big UNIX standard tool.  but
i am myself spoiled with GNU tools so i shouldnt talk.  ;-)