Alpha Core 1.0a

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 13:48:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

>Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:47:50 +0300
>From: Sergey Tikhonov <tsv at solvo.ru>
>To: Linux and Red Hat on Alpha processors <axp-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Alpha Core 1.0a
>
>Thank you for checking.
>
>I got it work on my S3 card. The problem I found in generic vga handling
>code. It doesn't use any of memory barriers and I
>got it working by puting output of checkpoint messages into a code. I
>guess it added some delays between memory access and
>Xserver started to work.

This is probably a PCI posting problem.  Some chipsets on some
architectures are rather picky to PCI specs, others are less so.
I'd recommend looking for posting bugs than spewing memory
barriers everywhere unnecessarily.

--
Mike A. Harris, Systems Engineer - X11 Development team, Red Hat Canada, Ltd.

IT executives rate Red Hat #1 for value:  http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor