AlphaCore 1.0 final release !

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Wed May 11 13:07:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Balint Cristian wrote:

> > > Hmm interesting. I notice the issue, keep that in mind.

> > > As quick hack, try unplug physicaly dka down from SCSI bus !
> >
> > Just tried that.  It still claims it cannot "read" the disk.  Sergey
> > recommended that I boot in rescue mode and try to mount it manually.  This
> > works fine, as I expected.
>
> What does it say exactly, can do Alt-F4 or some sort of Alt-F2,3,4 to see more debugs ?

I am now successfully installing on a fresh disk, which I permitted AC to
partition and format for me :-).

I notice one major difference between what Anaconda did on that disk and
the way the troublesome disk is setup.  Anaconda does not follow the BSD
convention of making the "C" slice cover the entire drive!  It has /boot
as A, swap as B and the root partition as C.  My drive has /boot starting
at cylinder 2 (to leave room for aboot), then swap as B, then C as the
entire drive (starting at cylinder 1, not 2), followed by all the root
partitions (D, E, F) from the various distros.

Not being familiar with Anaconda, I wonder if it is getting confused by
the situation - particularly the 'C' slice?

The only messages which were not routine are a series of complaints about
Anaconda using an obsolete ioctl call for scsi generic driver.  This
occurs at the time it's probing for the partition information.

Please note that an actual booting kernel recognizes the partition map -
AlphaCore 1.0 included.  If I boot in rescue mode, fdisk shows me exactly
what I expect to see.  This is almost certainly an Anaconda problem rather
than a kernel problem.

Steve