CentOS 4.2 for alpha

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Fri Oct 14 17:34:14 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:06:44AM -0500, terry.bowling at verizon.com wrote:
> I came across an update posted on the CentOS page. ?www.centos.org
> ?Shows the new 4.2 release for nearly all arch's and the Alpha arch
> is no longer beta? ?Anyone try this lately? ?I'm hoping to next week.

I made it 'release' as it does have all the bits and pieces now what it
should have (except the latest tog-pegasus which is still under
investigation why it does segfault when built).

I personally have been very happy with it's stability past months while
building the final release.

I am quite sure that is't not 'final'. There must be something to be
fixed, but it's good start. For start i know that there is something
funny going on with the glibc/linuxthreads, but what i can google about
it, it's more like general problem with glibc, than just my build.

I'd say it being 'a good start' for alpha rise back to supported linux
land as RPM-base distribution. AlphaCore has made much work on this
area. I would have been much much harder for me to even wrap it somehow
up w/o some of the patched AlphaCore has made available.

I really do hope we can co-operate in this and work for same goal - RPM
based Alpha/axp distributions.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/