CentOS 4.2 for alpha

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Fri Oct 14 18:57:13 UTC 2005

Pasi Pirhonen wrote:

>Hi,
>

>On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:06:44AM -0500, terry.bowling at verizon.com wrote:
>

>>I came across an update posted on the CentOS page. ?www.centos.org
>>?Shows the new 4.2 release for nearly all arch's and the Alpha arch
>>is no longer beta? ?Anyone try this lately? ?I'm hoping to next week.
>>

>I made it 'release' as it does have all the bits and pieces now what it
>should have (except the latest tog-pegasus which is still under
>investigation why it does segfault when built).
>
>I personally have been very happy with it's stability past months while
>building the final release.
>
>I am quite sure that is't not 'final'. There must be something to be
>fixed, but it's good start. For start i know that there is something
>funny going on with the glibc/linuxthreads, but what i can google about
>it, it's more like general problem with glibc, than just my build.

Unfortunatelly, it is the problem of linuxthreads on alpha (you could
use NPTL instead).
The linuxthreads is not supported anymore and some glibc maintainers
refuse to give even an idea what might be wrong. About an year ago I
filled a bug
report with some traceback information, but it was closed recently as
WONTFIX. :(

>I'd say it being 'a good start' for alpha rise back to supported linux
>land as RPM-base distribution. AlphaCore has made much work on this
>area. I would have been much much harder for me to even wrap it somehow
>up w/o some of the patched AlphaCore has made available.
>
>I really do hope we can co-operate in this and work for same goal - RPM
>based Alpha/axp distributions.

Sure. :)

Regards,
Sergey.