CPU Arch Detection

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Sat Oct 22 17:40:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:45:06PM +1000, Mike Barnes wrote:
> I was building up a few packages for CentOS (I wanted DVD playback,
> basically), and noticed something about building for an "alphaev6" target.
>
> The build process works OK - I produced a xine-lib that performs a LOT
> better than the default - and things WORK when installed. The snag is
> that RPM doesn't recognise alphaev6 as a suitable architecture on my
> DS10. I have to use --ignorearch.
>
> I remember hitting this a while back, building an EV6 optimisied glibc
> for Alpha Core, and I think we worked out this down to a bug in uname,
> not reporting the variation properly, but I can't recall the full details.
>
> Did anyone get this sorted, or does anyone know what might need patching up?

I haven't been tampering with /usr/lib/rpm magic at all. For me it
seems pretty much like voodoo.

There are something like

arch_compat: alphaev67: alphaev6
arch_compat: alphaev6: alphapca56
arch_compat: alphapca56: alphaev56
arch_compat: alphaev56: alphaev5
arch_compat: alphaev5: alpha
arch_compat: alpha: axp noarch

in /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc (which was pointed out in other mail). For me it
seems that those macros should eventually translate any alphaev* to
alpha, but i really don't know.

There might be another issue tho, which i didn't remember to verify for
sure. Anaconda is writing /etc/rpm/platform file which might be the
source for your proplem? I am not sure about how this should really be
formatted, but i suspect you dohave have something like
'alphaev6-redhat-linux' there. I do _believe_ a 'alpha-redhat-linux'
should be more right and generally i tend to just remove the file from
my build systems.

I do remember seeing the 'must use --ignorearch' myself too, but i
really don't remember if i just tweaked the /etc/rpm/platform or
something else too.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/