CPU Arch Detection

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Sat Oct 22 18:35:57 UTC 2005

Pasi Pirhonen wrote:

>Hi,
>

>On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:45:06PM +1000, Mike Barnes wrote:
>

>>I was building up a few packages for CentOS (I wanted DVD playback,
>>basically), and noticed something about building for an "alphaev6" target.
>>
>>The build process works OK - I produced a xine-lib that performs a LOT
>>better than the default - and things WORK when installed. The snag is
>>that RPM doesn't recognise alphaev6 as a suitable architecture on my
>>DS10. I have to use --ignorearch.
>>
>>I remember hitting this a while back, building an EV6 optimisied glibc
>>for Alpha Core, and I think we worked out this down to a bug in uname,
>>not reporting the variation properly, but I can't recall the full details.
>>
>>Did anyone get this sorted, or does anyone know what might need patching up?
>>

>I haven't been tampering with /usr/lib/rpm magic at all. For me it
>seems pretty much like voodoo.
>
>There are something like
>
>arch_compat: alphaev67: alphaev6
>arch_compat: alphaev6: alphapca56
>arch_compat: alphapca56: alphaev56
>arch_compat: alphaev56: alphaev5
>arch_compat: alphaev5: alpha
>arch_compat: alpha: axp noarch
>

>in /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc (which was pointed out in other mail). For me it
>seems that those macros should eventually translate any alphaev* to
>alpha, but i really don't know.
>
>There might be another issue tho, which i didn't remember to verify for
>sure. Anaconda is writing /etc/rpm/platform file which might be the
>source for your proplem? I am not sure about how this should really be
>formatted, but i suspect you dohave have something like
>'alphaev6-redhat-linux' there. I do _believe_ a 'alpha-redhat-linux'
>should be more right and generally i tend to just remove the file from
>my build systems.
>
>I do remember seeing the 'must use --ignorearch' myself too, but i
>really don't remember if i just tweaked the /etc/rpm/platform or
>something else too.

I recall of debugging rpm in order to understand the issue. If I recall
correctly rpm takes arch
from /etc/rpm/platform - if it doesn't exists - it does use  asm
instructions to get CPU type.
The above "arch_compat" macros says that "alpha" packages can be
installed on "alphaev6" arch
not the way around. I remember modifying platform file for alphaev6 and
I was able to install
alphaev6 rpm without using --ignorearch flag.

Regards,
Sergey.

tsv at solvo.ru