CPU Arch Detection

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Sat Oct 22 18:50:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 10:35:57PM +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
> The above "arch_compat" macros says that "alpha" packages can be
> installed on "alphaev6" arch not the way around.

Are you sure?  'athlon', for example, seems to follow a similar
chain to 'i386' as 'alphaev6' to alpha and I do not recall ever
seeing complaints that 'athlon', or 'i686', packages are of a wrong
architecture for on an i386 installation.

How this is supposed to behave is described here:

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/s1-rpm-multi-build-install-detection.html

   Michal