New AC2 release candidate - 5305

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Tue Oct 25 17:19:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 04:18:23PM -0700, Jim McCarthy wrote:

> I have RH7.2 on a DEC alpha PWS 500au with a Matrox Millennium II
> (DEC PBXGI-AC) into which I've tried adding (unsuccessfully)-: several
> other Millennium II PCI video boards as second head for dual-head
> display.  The SRM boot test complains of "unsupported card in slot ##"
> no matter what slot I try ... which is most perplexing, since it has
> no trouble recognizing the original Millenium II board (maybe DEC
> added some OEM flag that SRM needs ?).  Elsewhere I've read that SRM
> in the PWS is **especially** picky on this score ... guess my machine
> really needs a second honest-to-goodness PBXGI-AC (4D40T) board ??

Well, here's some comments which may (hopefully) help:

1. SRMs have ALWAYS been picky when two (enabled) VGAs are found on
   the same bus.

2. DEC sold Millennium I cards with a DIP switch that allowed the
   legacy VGA behavior of the card to be disabled. This allowed
   mulit-head (the Millennium II cards did NOT have such a switch,
   but the ELSA Gloria Synergy 8's have it as well).

3. if the MIATA/PWS SRM console doesn't recognize a card plugged into
   one of the 64-bit slots, it will issue that "unsupported" message.
   It has an internal table of cards that it trusts in those slots,
   and any that aren't in that table get the message. You CAN over-
   ride this, by doing:

	>>> set pci_device_override -1

4. I suspect (I've none to examine) that the 4D40T cards have some
   kind of VGA disable switch on them, so that they can be used in
   multi-head configurations. Perhaps you could use a Mill II as the
   primary and the 4D40T as secondary-with-VGA-disabled, to get what
   you want...

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com