Install on PC164, was: CentOS 4.2 for alpha

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Thu Oct 27 15:36:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 10:33:42AM -0400, Robert Williams wrote:
> Installing CentOS 4.2 on a PC164 where SRM "show dev" sees
> only dqa0 (hda) and the floppy:
>
> I've copied the cdrom.img, generic.img,  ramdisk.img, and vmlinux.gz
> files to the /boot partition of my RH7.2 system and I can
> use SRM and aboot to run the new kernel and load the images,
> but:
>
> 1.  After loading cdrom.img, my BusLogic BT958 is initialized but
> then I see an "Illegal CCD #...." error reported on console 4
> that continues to retry until I stop it.  This device works fine
> using the 2.4 kernel in RH7.2.
>
> 2.  After loading generic.img, and ramdisk.img, the boot panics
> with a request to set the "root=" option.   Of course when I set
> "root=/dev/hda4" where my current system is rooted, the system
> does not boot to an install, but rather to that file system.
>
> When I try "root=ramdisk.img"  (I'm just guessing now about
> what SRM and aboot flags may work.  I can't find a complete list
> of flags.) the system again initializes the BusLogic BT958 and
> goes into the infinite error loop.
>
> Short of disconnecting my BT958, is there a flag to inhibit
> the loading of the scsi driver,  or are there any other options
> available to me?

Try adding to the boot command line:

	BusLogic=NoProbe

Note that this info came from the kernel source tree's file:n

	Documentation/scsi/Buslogic.txt

Note also that this probably doesn't solve your real problem: that
that controller's driver doesn't appear to work on Alpha in these 2.6
kernels... :-(

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com