Install on PC164, was: CentOS 4.2 for alpha

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Thu Oct 27 18:23:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:36:05AM -0400, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 10:33:42AM -0400, Robert Williams wrote:
> >
> > 1.  After loading cdrom.img, my BusLogic BT958 is initialized but
> > then I see an "Illegal CCD #...."

Jay already replied to that.  If you are not using that controller
during an installation unhooking it may be prudent.  Later when
you are making initrd images you possibly may want '--omit-scsi-modules'
option to mkinitrd.  As long as this is not used during a boot
you can always load a controller suport later.

> > 2.  After loading generic.img, and ramdisk.img, the boot panics
> > with a request to set the "root=" option.

Sounds like something wrong with your boot command.  This, or
'cdrom.img', should boot you on a system which runs from memory.  Your
boot command, which you can add to your aboot.conf, should look similar
to what you can see on a CD in etc/aboot.cfg.  Keep in mind that all
paths on a boot line are relative to the top of that file system from
which are reading images and _not_ to / of your running installation.
These may be different.

Oh, one more thing.  If you are using some very old aboot then maybe
it has problems with passing boot options like 'initrd=...'?  You can
always update aboot on your current system without touching anything
else.

Did you try to boot in a "rescue" mode?  On other consoles you may
get some log and error messages which may give you a clue what is wrong.

   Michal