New AC2 release candidate test boot cd image

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Oct 28 14:16:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:44:32PM +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

> >Uh, you DID say AC2, didn't you?
> >
> :) Yeap, need to do some more testing (may be ftp/nfs install).

OBTW, I forgot to mention re: AC-1.0 that NFS installs seem to work fine,
BUT ONLY if you use a static IP address. The DHCP request doesn't seem
to ever get an address to use... :-\

> BTW, I added pci quirk to alpha pci.c (not exactly as Ivan proposed), so
> I am going to build another qboot image for test.

OK, let us know when it's available.

> I just copied the quirk function from ppc arch. One think I am not sure
> about is that in ppc the function is defined as "static void ..",
> but most functions in alpha pci.c defined as "static void __init ...".

I don't think that matters greatly; the i386 version uses __devinit.
IMHO, it should have __init, as the code will never be called after boot
initialization is complete.

I've never bothered to learn the distinction between the variations of
__init, just know that any code so labelled is NOT available for execution
after the kernel finishes boot initialization. This is the origin of the

	Freeing unused kernel memory: 280k freed

message during boot; code labelled __init is placed on different pages
than code not so labelled, and those pages of __init code are freed
for other use at the time of that message.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com