Putting ROOT on RAID for AC1

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Sun Oct 30 19:22:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 09:14:18AM -0500, Dave Mason wrote:

> I couldn't get /boot on RAID1, despite quite a lot of trying.

Frankly I would not even want to try.  What you have in /boot has to be
redable when you are starting your machine. So unless you plan to
rewrite 'aboot' and teach it a lot of new and quite involved tricks I do
not see how do you want to achieve that. Personally I prefer for /boot a
small partition, ext2, file system options "none", block size 1024 and
'aboot' as simple as possible.  It is already tricky enough.

> Also, the
> installation didn't let me put / on RAID1,

That sounds like a much more reasonable goal.  When you are booting via
initrd then you may have enough of a user space to start RAID and put
all remaining file systems on it.  OTOH this seems hardly critical (which
does not mean not worth to fix).  Something like 250-300 Megs should be
enough for / with an ample room to spare.  Especially when you are using
LVM you can mount all other stuff as logical volumes on one big RAID
device which would cover all remaining disk space (minus some swap
spread over physical drives).

   Michal